Thursday, December 18, 2008

Blackout for 18 hours

Last Sunday was the coldest night I had experienced in my whole life.

The weather was cold and wet that day. And of all day, we had to live without electricity that night. The blackout took place at about 10pm. There was pretty much nothing we could do except to go to bed and hid under the duvet. And to show how cold it was that night without our electric heater, I had on me 3 layers of clothings excluding my thermal wear and wore 2 pairs of socks.

The hubby began his symphony of snoring once he hit the bed while I tried very hard to get into a slumber. My attempt was futile. The harder I tried, the more awake I was. It was simply too cold to fall asleep.

At around 1.30am, there was a sudden deafening sound of rapid succession of beats on the roof top. The sound was unlike the pitter patter of the rain and yet it sounded familiar. I thought it might be a hail. I got out of bed to check and true enought it was hailing! Overwhelmed with excitement, I woke the hubby up. The hubby went to the front door to confirm what I had told him. When he opened the door, what lay before our eyes were hailstones on the ground! I couldn't help but squeal with joy as I witnessed hailstones raining from the sky. It was the second time we had a hail!

I could not remember when I fell asleep but when I woke up the next morning, my eyelids were heavy and I felt as if my whole body was frozen. There was still no electricity and it was pouring outside. I refused to get out of bed and decided to be a polar bear that hibernates during winter. At about 2 plus in the afternoon, I finally quit being a polar bear. The sleep proved to be too much for me. I could feel there was a dent at the back of my head.

I tried to read while waiting for the electricity to come on. At about 4 plus, we finally had electricity! I was overjoyed! Imagine living in freezing cold for 18 hours! I hope I won't ever go through such torture again!

No comments: