Monday, November 17, 2008

You've Got Mail

I spent the afternoon writing Christmas cards today. You must be thinking I had written a huge bag full of cards. The truth? I only had less than 10 cards. The lack of efficiency was partly due to the fact that I was distracted by the documentary showing on TV. Another reason was I had difficulty penning down my messages. It has been a long time since I last sent out a Christmas card. Besides 'Have a Merry Christmas and a wonderful New Year!', I couldn't think of anything else.

I remember during my primary school days, I used to make a list of friends who would receive my Christmas cards. I would go shopping for Christmas cards and be intrigued by the wide array of designs. I usually took a long time to chose the cards, making sure that my best friends would get the best designs. Those who were categorised under 'just friends' would receive the 'not too bad' ones. Such effort in chosing cards and categorising friends! Ha!

I can't remember when I had stopped sending Christmas cards. As I grew older, the excitement of buying, writing and sending Christmas cards gradually died off. I guess I didn't have the time to shop for cards. Besides, it's such a hassle to find out my friends' home addresses and to buy stamps. There's always the most convenient way of sending Christmas wishes via SMS or email. There's no need for snail mail anymore.

But there's something heartwarming and special in receiving a card in the mailbox. That irreplaceable feeling puts a wide smile on my face. I feel loved. It may just be a simple card but I fully appreciate the effort in sending it out.

This Christmas, I want to revive sending my Christmas wishes by conventional means. I hope my family and friends would feel the same way as I do when they find that little envelope filled with love in the mailbox.

No comments: