Wednesday, June 11, 2008

An Update From Home

Leaving Algeria:
Had an unpleasant experience at the immigration checkpoint. Instead of staying for a maximum of 90 days (3 months) in Algeria, Darling and I stayed for a period of 5 months. We thought since our expiry date for our visa was on 6 June, we only needed to leave the country before our visa expired. What we did not notice was the duration of stay in the country as stated on the visa. So we were warned and yelled at by the officer before he agreed to stamp on our passport and let us through.

That was just half of the story. At the next bag check, an officer took Darling's porch, opened it, took out his wallet and helped himself with a $500 dinar note. We were infuriated but we let the matter rest. We did not want to take the risk of being detained by the authority. I was so glad when I finally boarded the plane.

Istanbul:
Vacation in Istanbul was great. I wish I could extend my stay. The scenery is spectacular and the turkish guys are hot. I love the Spice Bazaar. I love the Bosphorous Cruise. I love that romantic dinner at Mikla.

Home:
There's really no place like home. I feel so loved by everyone. My sis and princess Gwen surprised me at the airport. My aunt from States came to Singapore just to spend time with me. What's really sweet was my sis took leave from work so that she could go to the market in the morning and prepare a sumptuous dinner for me on the day I returned home. I'm very grateful to have a sis who dotes on me so much.

Unfortunately, Darling was admitted to hospital the very next day we returned home. He had a surgery and had 15 cm of his appendix and part of his colon removed. Darling had been experiencing pain at the right side of his abdomen 2 weeks ago while we were in Algeria. He consulted 3 docs and even did a scan. All docs claimed that there was nothing wrong with him. The pain became unbearable on our last day in Istanbul. He had some difficulty walking and we stayed in the hotel most of the time.

When we reached SIN, we noticed that the side was actually swollen. Darling went to consult our family doc and was referred to the hospital for further diagnosis. The surgery was carried out immediately after the test results were released. After the surgery, I was informed that Darling's appendix was already burst. The doc suspected that it might have burst while Darling was in Algeria. I was shocked to hear the news. All the diagnosis from the 3 Algerian docs were wrong. Darling could have died within a week after the appendix burst as explained by the doc. Fortunately, Darling was a really tough and lucky guy. Praise God.

Darling is recovering well but needs to take a longer time to recuperate. I hope Darling will get well enough to come home soon. I miss him.

No comments: