Saturday, March 13, 2010

Of Books and Music

The previous post reveals how active my baby is. But my baby has a quiet side too. He is absolutely calm and peaceful when I read to him and when he's listening to music.

I started reading to baby JJ when he was just a teeny weeny peanut in my womb. As I had morning sickness and felt tired most of the time during my first trimester, I didn't read to him as regularly as I do now. Our first book was The Ersatz Elevator from A Series of Unfortunate Events. Then the hubby bought a set of storybooks by Roald Dahl from the bookstore at T2 before we boarded the plane for our babymoon. We are almost done with them except one particular book which is meant for daddy and son bonding time. I plan to buy the rest of the books from A Series of Unfortunate Events and other books by Roald Dahl simply because I enjoy the stories (and I think JJ does too).

JJ listens to music too, mostly classical. Sometimes, he would be exposed to other genres. Depending on mommy's mood, it could be jazz, latin or even pop music. Every afternoon, I would just let the CD play while I lounge on the couch with eyes closed and rubbing my tummy, feeling totally relax.

The reason why I expose JJ to books and music is not because I'm a kiasu parent who can't wait to cultivate a love for reading and music in my child. I'm doing this because both are great ways to bond with my baby. I want JJ to recognise my voice (and the hubby's) even before he's born. I want him to feel close to us. I want him to know mommy and daddy love him very much. And THAT is the most important reason of all.

For my baby JJ.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
This is for Daddy.
JJ says, "Daddy. When are you coming home? JJ wants Daddy to read "The Magic Finger". JJ misses Daddy's voice. I love you."
JJ's waiting eagerly...

No comments: