Monday, October 6, 2008

Is it October already?

It seems not so long ago that I experienced my first winter in a foreign land. Then spring came along, followed by the bright summer sky. And now, it's autumn already. I couldn't help but shudder at the thought of how fast time has slipped by. Very soon, we'll have to usher in the brand new year.

The past 10 months were filled with many memories which would take more than a lifetime to fade away. I would never forget the first few months in Algeria - the fear of walking on the streets while men stared at me hostilely, the frustrations of having to adjust to a new environment where time stood still 10-15 years ago, the many times I cried cos I missed home terribly, the first experience of a bitter cold winter and the excitement of exploring new places. I doubt I would ever have such an adventure if the hubby and I hadn't decided to move to Algeria. I remember a few of my friends were skeptical of our decision. 'It's a hardship posting, isn't it? Are you sure?', they asked. I cannot deny that at some point of time, I was indeed unsure of our decision. It is afterall a 'not-so-galmorous' place to work in, considering it a third world country. Besides, terrorist attacks are common. Will it be safe to live in Algeria? But the hubby and I eventually stick to our decision.

This may sound cliche but living here has made me realise how fortunate I am. The folks here lead a simple life. For some, a difficult life. Taking a shower may be a luxury for some. Having mineral water to drink is pure bliss. Being able to attend school is a blessing. For many, it's a struggle to even provide the basic necessities for their family. I looked at the household appliances I have in the house, the food in the fridge, the cartons of mineral water at a corner and asked myself, 'Is this a hardship posting?'. If it is, then life would have been more than miserable for these people. Indeed, I am and we are ALL very fortunate in many ways compared to the folks here.

I'm glad we made the decision to move out of our comfy little paradise. It's a paradise here as well - just a different kind from home. It's a good break for me from the usual routine back home. I get to do whatever I like and I'm thankful to be able to travel too. And I get to spend more time with the hubby. Afterall, we only have each other here. =)

So, it IS October already! And that's good news! Cos I'm going home soon! YAY! I can't wait to see my family. Another 16 more days to go! WOO HOO!!!

This is one of my fav pics I took during my first few months in Algeria. It's a pic with sheeps grazing on green pasture and the deep blue Mediterranean Sea merging with the blue sky. It was beautiful.

No comments: