Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Blackout

I have moved to my new place at the countryside for almost a month and I have experienced a total of 4 blackouts. It's about 1 blackout per week. Each blackout lasted about 4 - 5 hrs. Cool eh?

2 weeks ago, at about 6 plus in the evening, there was a blackout. I couldn't cook and had to get our driver to buy dinner from town. We sat in the dark, waiting eagerly for our food to arrive. We were famished. After more than 2 hours, we heard the car pulled over outside our house. Our driver appeared at the door and passed us our dinner, 2 white candles and a match box. "2 white candles? Only 2? Cannot give more meh?", I thought to myself. Then I thought, maybe he needed to ration the candles. Afterall, he had many (extended) family members who stayed near him and needed the candles too. Anyway, we went into the house and had our first candlelight dinner in Algeria. Romantic, isn't it? Ha!

There was still no electricity after dinner. We couldn't shower cos there wasn't any hot water. Forget about taking a cold shower. The water was icy cold. So, we decided to wait for a while more, hoping that we would get electricity soon. At about 10 plus, we gave up. We decided to just wipe ourselves with a damp towel and head to bed. But before we could snuggle under our blanket, the lights came on! Aaaarrrrrgggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!

So, it is a blessing to stay in SIN where you have electricity 24/7. I'm glad I'm a Singaporean!

No comments: