Monday, May 18, 2009

The Beginning of Our Adventure in Spain

Sometimes, I think I am a psychic. Who would have thought my premonition would really come true?

The morning before we left for the airport, I asked the hubby to find something distinctive to tie it at the handle of our luggage in case someone had mistaken it as theirs since our luggage was of such a common colour and design. I couldn't explain why but the thought of losing our luggage had been bugging me the whole night.

We touched down at the Madrid airport after a two hour flight and waited for almost an hour for the first luggage to appear on the conveyor belt. Already, there were several passengers standing around the belt waiting impatiently to retrieve their luggages. The hubby walked over to look out for ours. We waited and waited as the number of luggages circling on the belt gradually diminished. Soon, there was only one luggage left going round and round the belt. It looked exactly like ours but it didn't belong to us. Instantly, I knew I had lost my luggage!

I reported the lost of luggage to the airport staff and while waiting for him to finish up the paperwork, I almost wanted to burst into tears. All our belongings were gone just because of someone's negligence. Why didn't that 'blur sotong' double check the luggage before he left the airport with it? We were left with no clothes, no toiletries but fortunately, we had our valuables and important documents in our hand carry bag. The airport staff informed us matter-of-factly that there was nothing we could do except to wait for the person who took our luggage to return it to the airport. The airport staff would then send it to our hotel.

So we left the airport in a cab with no luggage. The cab driver must have thought we were some weird Asian fugitives who had run away in a hurry. What an exciting way to begin our holidays in Spain!

Madrid Airport - the start of our adventure!

No comments: