Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Model Answer

"So, what do you do since you are not working?"

That is a tough question. I often fumble for a model answer but end up listing the things I do in general such as surfing the internet, watching TV/DVD, reading, teaching the kids EL, going to the beach, cooking (once in a while), washing clothes (very often!) etc. My reply would ellicit 2 kinds of responses.

The first one would be "Wah! So good life hor! Leading a taitai life!". That would inevitably set my eyes rolling 360 degree. I didn't know taitai needs to wash her own plus hubby's clothes. The conversation usually ended prematurely.

The second one would evoke a mixure of feelings - disbelief, disappointment and sympathy. They couldn't believe that is the adventure I have been embarking on and even more disappointed to know that I lead such an uninteresting and mundane life. Hence, they concluded that I must be suffering immensely from boredom and sympathized with my situation. As a well-meaning gesture, they would advise me to have a daily routine, take up a hobby etc.

But what is a routine? Well, I wake up, wash up, watch tv, surf the net, have lunch, wash clothes, watch more tv, surf more net, read, have dinner, shower, watch more tv and sleep. Is that a routine? I would think it is. What about a hobby? I read. That is definitely a hobby. So, I do have a routine and a hobby!

My point is no doubt life can be boring here, I seriously do not mind it at all. In fact, I appreciate and enjoy such an idyllic life. I do what I like each day even if it means doing nothing at all.

So, next time when someone posts me that question again, my answer would be "Nothing. I'm a bum."

My search for model answer ends here.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think I am more prone to giving response A. But I wouldn't call u a tai-tai. Just a contented and happy individual. Man, I am totally envious of yr freedom. Cherish it while it last! :)