Friday, August 1, 2008

All Kids Love Jelly. Yes?

I was in the mood to make some jelly - fruit cocktail jelly. I thought that would be an ideal dessert on a super hot day. It was extremely easy to prepare. I just had to follow the instructions printed on the packaging - almost idiot proof. In less than 20 minutes, 4 trays of jelly were ready on the table, ready to be chilled in the fridge.

The kids came later on in the evening to try on some used clothings which I have brought over from SG. They were so delighted especially Nabila who happened to get a Snow White dress which fitted her pretty well.

After the 'fashion parade', I decided to give the kids a little treat. I emptied a tray of jelly on a plate and offered to the kids. Most looked at them dubiously and declined my offer. Finally, 3 courageous kids took up the challenge and each took one jelly. With one bite, the enthusiasm drained from their faces, leaving behind a disgusted look. I was puzzled and a little disappointed. I thought all kids loved jelly. Glenn and Gwendolyn do! Not knowing what to do with the unwanted jelly in their hands, the kids looked at me helplessly. I pointed to the rubbish bin and they rushed towards it. Was my jelly so repulsive? While the rest did not appreciate my jelly, Taufik (unsure of spelling) was the only one still holding onto it. 'Taufik, is it nice? Delicieux?', I inquired. Taufik nodded his head. I was extremely happy. Finally, someone was behaving like a normal kid.

The kids had to head home before dinner. I sent them off. On my way back, something familiar caught my attention. It was a half eaten jelly discarded on my doorstep. That kid lied! My poor jelly! I was heartbroken.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha...Is it the fruit cocktail? I am one who dun like jelly with any fruit in it! haha...wats the flavour of the jelly and Konnyaku jelly, rite?

Perhaps can try with light citrus flavour or apple flavour.

All the best!

Anonymous said...

Hey, I thought yr jelly looks v yummy! I love Konnyaku jelly. Guess it's a culture thing, lah. Maybe they hv never eaten jelly before? Hmmm...I wonder if adding a tiny drop of fd colour would make it more appetising to them. Anyway, got craving now. Your entry inspires me to make some over the wkend. :p